Friday 2 December 2011

Lottie Shaw's Seriously Good Yorkshire Parkin review


As soon as I saw the Lottie Shaw's Seriously Good Yorkshire Parkin that we received to review, I loved the retro look packaging and thought that this would look perfect snuggled up next to some other gorgeous foodie gifts in a gourmet Christmas hamper (such as the Scarlett & The Spotty Dog Present ... The Proud To Be Ginger Nut biscuits that I just reviewed here). Having never tasted parkin before, I can't compare it to anything or even tell you if it really is "the authentic taste of Yorkshire", as promised on the label, but I would actually be very surprised if it isn't.


This again looks, feels, tastes and smells (shame I can't add hears to go for all five senses !) totally homemade although, alas, once again better than anything I manage to produce here in The Madhouse kitchen ! It's a springy, mouth-watering, moist slab of crumbly cake that tastes a bit like a very mild gingerbread (of the soft cake variety, not the hard biscuit type).

The label says it is seriously good on a summer's day with strawberries and cream, on a winter's day with stewed fruit and hot custard, or any day with a large pot of tea. Well, I nibbled it as it was and it was still seriously good. I'll definitely have to look up a recipe for Yorkshire Parkin to see if I can recreate this slice of utter gorgeousness here at home.

The label gives a few pointers, explaining : "One of the 'seriously good' things about Yorkshire Parkin is that the treacle caramelises and hardens during baking so before it leaves the bakery, it is held to allow it to 'come again'. This is where the caramel softens , giving each piece the perfect crumbly stickiness". OK, stop sniggering about the 'come again' bit and the idea of a cake needing a hug and believe me, it's worth all the hard work to get a result like this !

The ingredients list is totally natural again, with nothing you wouldn't find in a typical kitchen : oatmeal, brown sugar, syrup, wheat flour, vegetable oils and fats, black treacle, milk, ginger, baking powder & nothing else !

If you want to impress your mother-in-law, stick some on a plate and she'll never believe they're not homemade ! I have to admit, I did wince a little when I saw the price so you might want to forget the mother-in-law and just treat yourself instead. You're worth it !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £5.99 for 450g

for more information : http://www.lottieshaws.co.uk/


Other reviews you may be interested in :

2 comments:

  1. Like you the packaging does it for me too. Love all the old retro looks, sad to say but most of them looked like that when I was growing up - quick pass me the moisturizer!
    I'm not a big liver of parkin, but its hubbys favourite. I've managed to make it a few times, but I'm not really that good at baking in general so find it easier to buy cakes and the like.
    Will have to buy him some of this to treat him as he's been a treasure lately.
    Thanks for the review. As usual very informative with our being OTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well
    as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent quality
    writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one these days.


    Feel free to surf to my web blog - Louis Vuitton Outlet Online

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...