Monday 27 February 2012

New Covent Garden Soups of the World : Jammin' Jamaica review


When I was asked if I'd like to try out one of the new soups from New Covent Garden's Soups of the World range, I scrolled down to see what the new and probably totally unexpected flavour would be and totally freaked myself out ! The soup they told me about is called Jammin' Jamaica, which they describe as a soup "composed of a velvety smooth blend of sweet potatoes, red pepper and coconut, infused with a spicy jerk seasoning". So what's freaky about that, you're wondering ? Well, just the day before, I had submitted a recipe for the New Soup competition for a soup containing Jamaican Jerk chicken, with pineapple, red pepper, onion and sweet potato. (I blogged about it here if you don't believe me !) What are the odds on that happening ?! Apart from putting pineapple instead of coconut, the combination of ingredients is identical. Great minds think alike, huh ?!

Well, needless to say, I was keen to see what their version of "my" Jamaican-inspired soup would taste like so we bought some last week, using the voucher that NCG had kindly sent. It's gorgeous, and I have to say, I think the coconut probably does work even better than the pineapple would have done !

The soup has been specially designed to bring some sunshine to bleak February days. They explain : "The first Monday in February is traditionally dreaded by employers across the country.  ‘Blue Monday’ is the day when miserable Brits are most likely to call in sick as bad weather, winter colds and sniffles and post-Christmas blues become too much to bear. Jammin’ Jamaica’s aromatic blend of Caribbean sweet potato and spices will bring rays of colourful sunshine to even the greyest of days."

What’s more, the exotic recipe is packed with a rainbow of spices thought to have the following properties known to keep colds and flu at bay:
 
  • Turmeric – natural anti septic, anti inflammatory and antioxidant
  • Chilli – antibacterial, decongestant, serotonin boosting
  • Ginger – soothing, warming , anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, anti oxidant
  • Garlic – antioxidant, antibacterial
  • Cinnamon – warming, cleansing, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial
  • Coriander – packed with vitamins and minerals including vitamin C 
A serving only contains 162 calories which is great if you're trying to lose a few pounds for your New Year's resolution. Jammin' Jamaica is one of the new Soups of the World range, which includes Mexican Chipotle Chicken , Moroccan Tagine and Thai Chicken.
 
star rating : 5/5


RRP : £2.10 for 600g

3 comments:

  1. Well done with the recipe mind-reading hehe! This sounds yummy but I am angry at Covent Garden because they have changed the lovely chicken soup they used to make and now it is not so lovely :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I haven't had their chicken soup for a while, I do love their fish chowder though yummm !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had Covent Garden soups for a while .. you've just reminded me to go searching for them again :) They're so delicious and hearty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...