Friday 8 June 2012

Weight Watchers Bagels review



Admit it, when you hear the words Weight Watchers, the first food product that springs to mind probably isn't bagels. But the it wouldn't be carrot cakes either and those were utterly divine. (Check out my review here if you don't believe me !) Well, as soon as Juliette spotted the bagels nestling in my hamper of products from Weight Watchers (that I told you about here), she squealed "oooh doughnuts like Bart Simpson eats !". I told her they were bread, not doughnuts, but the shape had already tempted her, so she wanted to eat one for tea (once she'd finished playing with them !).



Well, they got a bit of a mixed reception to be honest. Juliette loved them and would have happily eaten the whole lot (although not in one sitting !). But the grown-ups (who are used to eating bagels of other brands, in particular the New York Bakery Co ones, which have extra ingredients like raisins and cinnamon to jazz them up) found them a bit on the dry side. I know bagels are supposed to be firm but it was the crumbs that seemed a bit dry - especially as, if you're eating WeightWatchers food, you presumably want to avoid adding ingredients such as butter or mayonnaise that are heavy on calories. I filled mine with ham and pickle the first time, and ham and cucumber with some cherry tomatoes on the side the second time. They're even nicer toasted with cheese on them, but again, this is obviously going to up the calorie count.



Speaking of which, each bagel contains 158 calories, 0.5g of fat (of which saturates 0.3g) and 7.2g of fibre. By comparison, one of my usual raisin & cinnamon New York Bakery Co bagels contains 257 calories, 1g of fat and 3g of fibre so the Weight Watchers ones are considerably lighter in calories. Even a plain New York Bakery one contains 228 calories. Each Weight Watchers bagel "costs" 4 ProPoints, which isn't bad at all for a packed lunch or light evening meal.

star rating : 3.5/5

RRP : £1.28 (4 pack) £1.35 (5 pack)

Other reviews you may be interested in :
  

5 comments:

  1. my wife and daughter love bagels, we shall give the weight watchers ones a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Weight Watchers did bagels!! I quite like bagels but find that they are quite stidgy and always leave me with indigestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might prefer these ones then, as they're lighter/less stodgy (which is why I found them drier).

      Delete
  3. These look quite good. Will give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...