Friday 5 October 2012

NOSH Raw Smoothies review



When I was asked if I'd like to review some raw smoothies, my first reaction was one of surprise - surely they're all raw, aren't they ?! Well, no, they're not actually because raw means not only not cooked but also not heat-treated, which many similar products are, so that they can be kept for longer. There is a little paragraph on the back of the bottle which explains the concept in a nutshell. It says : "I discovered a secret technique that lets us bottle the freshest fruits and ingredients without heat-treating them. Now you get all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients of real food, even when you're on the go. It's natural and delicious. That's the NOSH Raw Smoothie difference. Well being, well bottled." Sounds great but what do they taste like ?

I received four flavours to try, each one offering different health benefits :

To Calm & Soothe - Mango, Blueberry and Acai Raw Smoothie
To Boost & Energize - Almond, Banana, Chia and Oat Raw Smoothie
To Revitalise & Rejuvenate - Apple, Mint and Spirulina Raw Smoothie
To Restore & Build - Coconut, Banana and Chia Raw Smoothie

I started with Blueberry, Mango & Acai, which I popped in my pocket to drink on the bus on the way to work as a swift breakfast on the go. Just one 330ml bottle contains over 85% of your vitamin C and almost 50% of your Vitamin A daily requirements, and I must admit, I felt more alert after drinking it (although I never know how much of that is psychological, when you're reading the labels while drinking this kind of drink !). The ingredients list says : Bliss 100%, Mango 48%, Peach 21%, Pineapple 20.9%, Water 6%, Blueberries, Açai Berry, Agave. Not a single artificial additive. No sugar either which is why it's quite sharp but you do get used to it after the first swig that makes you screw your eyes up !

The next one I tried was the Apple, Mint and Spirulina smoothie which had a rather strange herby taste for the first mouthful but which tasted better the further I got down the bottle. I'm not sure if that's because it's an acquired taste and my tastebuds were getting acclimatised or if I hadn't shaken the bottle enough before drinking it! I did make the comment that I was drinking it more because I knew it was good for me than because it tasted delicious though !

The two smoothies containing banana were slightly sweeter which made them more palatable. I found the Almond, Banana, Chia & Oat one had a slightly grainy texture and left a creamy coating on my teeth, presumably from the oats, but this didn't last for long. The Coconut, Banana & Chia one was my favourite, tasting the least unusual !

 I actually thought the fruits - mango, peach and pineapple in particular - would make them sweeter, as they're all very sweet when you eat them as fruit, but it just goes to show just how much sugar other smoothie and juice manufacturers must add to their drinks to get them tasting so sweet. As I'm watching my weight, I was very pleased to see it had no added sugars but it does mean kids probably won't like the taste and it did take some getting used to. A bottle of Mango, Blueberry & Acai (picked at random as a guide) contains 330ml and 100ml provides 45 calories, 0.43g of protein, 10.9g of carbs and 0.17g of fat.

If you're looking for a totally healthy smoothie to drink on the go, this is absolutely ideal and made the perfect "on the bus" breakfast. However, if you or the kids are more used to ultra-sweet smoothies packed with sugar, you'll be in for a shock until your tastebuds get used to them !

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £3.49 for 330ml

for more information : www.therawsmoothie.com

Disclosure : I received some NOSH Raw Smoothies in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Sweetbird Fruit Smoothies
Andechser Organic Lassis Yogurt Smoothies review
 Fruit And Veg - Just One More campaign

3 comments:

  1. These sound amazing! I definitely need these in my life x

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum the coconut one souunds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite expensive but they look wroth it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...