Tuesday 9 October 2012

Patak's Rogan Josh Paste review


In honour of National Curry Week, Patak's kindly sent me through a fabulous selection of their products to get some Indian-inspired recipes on the menu at The Madhouse. Despite being one of Britain's favourite dishes, I think many of us get stuck in a rut when it comes to curry - I tend to stick to the same three or four tried and tested recipes so we always seem to have korma, chicken tikka massala, biryani or balti. Although I love Cheesy Naan Bread and Poppadums when we eat out in an Indian restaurant, when I cook curry at home, I always serve it with rice. I was therefore really pleased to receive a selection of products that we wouldn't usually buy to test out. We also have some lovely recipes to try out but for tonight, I needed something quick, so I decided to use up the leftovers from yesterday's roast.


I grabbed hold of a jar of Rogan Josh Paste and decided to make - ahem - Leftover Pork Roast-an Josh !


I did a bit of a double-take when I took the lid off the jar because it looked all dried out and solid, but a closer look at the label reveals that this is a paste, not a sauce. That means you only need to use about half a jar for a family meal, making it good value.


First I fried up some onions and added in the leftover roast pork. 


I stirred in half a jar of the Rogan Josh paste.


Following the recipe suggestion on the back of the jar, I stirred in a tin of chopped tomatoes. Time for a taste test to see if the seasoning and spice level needed tweaking. The heat-rating is given as medium but I often find they're a bit hit and miss. This time, I'd say they're spot on though. It's spicier than a korma but still only leaves a warming tingle in your mouth so anyone who dislikes really hot curry will like it. It had a deep, rich flavour and didn't need any additional spices or salt.

It was a really tasty and original way of using up the leftover meat from the Sunday roast. Using pre-cooked meat, the whole thing was ready in about ten minutes which is quicker than going out to get a takeaway, not to mention decidedly lighter on the pocket.

According to the label, one 35g serving (which is an eighth of a jar - sounds about right) contains 85 calories and 7g of fat. I would love to see these as a half-sized jar (at half the price, obviously !) because we only needed half a jar for a family meal so now have the other half sitting in the fridge.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £2.02 for 283g


Disclosure : To get into the spirit of National Curry Week, I received a selection of Patak's products, in order to try out the recipes and write honest reviews.

Other reviews you may be interested in :



1 comment:

  1. D Minor:. Www. offers free online piano lessons.

    Feel free to surf to my web site :: Jazz Piano Chords And Scales

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...