Saturday 27 October 2012

Picture Book review : The Dinosaur that Pooped Christmas - Tom Fletcher & Dougie Poynter



We've been reading lots of children's books lately with a slightly naughty sense of humour (particularly those by Nicholas Allan) that have had the Madhouse Mini-testers squealing in delight at words like "bum" and "wee". Their gleeful giggling is the perfect way to counterbalance a stressful day at work so when I saw the title of the latest book to arrive for review - The Dinosaur that Pooped Christmas - I smiled to myself, predicting squeals of excitement when the kids got home from school.

However, I was stunned to discover that it was actually my 21-year-old sister and my mum who were squealing in delight when they laid eyes on it ! Believe it or not, they're both big McFly fans and it turns out, the book is written by two members of the band, Tom Fletcher and Dougie Poynter. *Swoon* (Them, not me !) 





Well, I tried and failed to get the members of the band to wish my sister a happy 21st on twitter last week, so I gave the book to her as part of her birthday present instead ! But I did have a quick read first so that I could write the review and I have to say, it's not bad at all.

The book, which is very reminiscent of Dr Seuss, is about a greedy boy called Danny, who has loads of toys already but still comes up with a huge Christmas list of things he wants from Santa. A strange egg appears in his house which hatches to reveal a dinosaur, which turns out to be just as greedy as Danny because he eats everything in the house, including Danny's mum, dad and grandma. The dinosaur ends up feeling guilty and - you've guessed it, given the title - poops it all back out. (Lovely !) Danny and his family put the tree back up and get Christmas back on track with Danny promising not to ask for any more toys and the dinosaur promising not to eat anything else.



The book has a lovely life lesson and deliciously naughty toilet-humour that will have young readers squealing in delight, but it will also appeal to teens and tweens who are in lurve with McFly and want any memorabilia they can get their hands on.

star rating : 5/5

RRP :  £6.99

  • Paperback: 32 pages
  • Publisher: Red Fox (25 Oct 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1849417792
  • ISBN-13: 978-1849417792
  • Product Dimensions: 28.4 x 23.6 x 0.4 cm




Disclosure : I received a review copy of the book.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


Warner Brothers family viewing #3 : The Polar Express review



2 comments:

  1. Whooo! I have been posting something like you for them. Love McFLY http://coffeinlondonuk.blogspot.com.br/2012/10/unsaid-things-biografia-do-mcfly.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought that one for my sister for her birthday too ! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...