Tuesday 6 November 2012

Cookery Book Review : Take A Box of Eggs


When I was asked if I'd like to review a Dairy Cookbook recipe book called Take A Box of Eggs, I have to admit, I wasn't expecting to be particularly wowed. Eggs are pretty simple things to cook - from boiled eggs and omelettes to scrambled eggs and Scotch eggs, who hasn't got a quick and simple family-friendly egg-based recipe or ten that they know inside out ? We often eat Spanish tortilla and quiche Lorraine here at The Madhouse, as well as the usual fried, boiled or poached eggs, so I was expecting the usual suspects in this book.

Well, when the glossy, hard-backed book with appetising, artistic photos and a rather handy red ribbon bookmark popped through the door, I have to say I was impressed. The cover promises 100 easy, irresistible recipes and, I'm surprised to say, it does deliver. There are some dead easy recipes for novices (such as Salade Niçoise with boiled eggs) or the really obvious choices (I'd have bet anything you like on Huevos Racheros being in there somewhere !) but there are also some surprising curveballs that look really tasty, often using only storecupboard basics. Time for a browse through what's on offer.


The first one that I bookmarked to try out very soon (I have everything I need already) is Glamorgan Sausages, made with leeks and cheese - as I mentioned here, the Madhouse Mini-Testers' favourite vegetable combination.


The Spinach & Cheese Roulade looks very impressive. Well, I thought so anyway, but Sophie said it looked like a mouldy Swiss roll !


The next one that leapt out at me was Chilli Beef Pancakes - a recipe I wasn't expecting (I'm trying really hard not to say eggs-pecting here !) in an egg-based recipe book.


Extra Mature Cheddar Muffins - these look perfect for an afternoon baking with the kids.


Who says eggs are boring and unimpressive ? Pavlovas with Strawberries & Limoncello Cream Topping anyone ? Yum !


Hmm. Baked Egg Custard. Sounds like something my nan might have made. Definitely one I'd like to try, to show the kids that custard doesn't only come out of a tin !


And there are some delicious desserts that I would never have expected to find in an egg-themed recipe book too, such as this decidedly decadent Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Even more clever is that each recipe has a QR code, linking to a shopping list for all the ingredients you'll need. Cool, huh?

If I've tempted you, you'll be pleased to know that you can win your own copy of the book - just watch this space !

star rating : 4.5/5

  • Hardcover: 176 pages
  • Publisher: Eaglemoss Consumer Publications Ltd (15 Aug 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0956089488
  • ISBN-13: 978-0956089489
  • Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 16.2 x 2 cm

RRP : £9.99



Disclosure : I received a copy of the book in order to write an honest review.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a great book to get and use! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fab book with lots of great recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab review Cheryl! We love eggs in our family and it's great to know that there is inspiration out there that gives you more than your humble boiled, poached, scrambled or fried egg x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...