Sunday 30 December 2012

Children's book review : The Snow Queen (Barefoot Books)


Just before Christmas, I told you about the titles that Barefoot Books had sent through for Pierre (Driving My Tractor - Jan Dobbins) and Sophie (The Barefoot Book of Classic Poems) to review but I didn't had time to tell you about 7-year-old Juliette's option. Well, here it is - a lovely illustrated version of The Snow Queen from their Classic Fairy Tales collection. This version is retold by Sarah Lowes and illustrated by Miss Clara.


I absolutely love the illustrations which really bring the text to life. Some of them remind me of the Gorjuss illustrations that I like.


There are many full-page or even double-page colourful pictures which break up the text and make it less daunting for beginner readers.


Juliette liked the way the illustrations sometimes "spill over" the edge of the page and encroach on the text on the next page !


It isn't just a picture book though, it does have some longer sections of text for confident readers to get their teeth into. It's targetted at readers aged 8+ so I've been reading it with Juliette as it's slightly beyond her level, but she's really enjoying the story.

I must admit, I have been too because it's one of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales that I was less familiar with. If you need a quick refresher too, here's the synopsis :  An evil troll creates a mirror which reflects the bad and ugly sides of people. Shards of its glass enter a young boy, causing him to reject his loving family and best friend Gerda. Helped by kind strangers and guided by her warm heart, Gerda makes the perilous journey to rescue her friend from the icy palace of the Snow Queen.

It's a story that would appeal to both girls and boys.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £6.99


  • Paperback: 64 pages
  • Publisher: Barefoot Books (1 Sep 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1846866618
  • ISBN-13: 978-1846866616
  • Product Dimensions: 14.4 x 20.7 cm




Disclosure : I received a selection of Barefoot Books in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


The Barefoot Book of Classic Poems review



Picture book review : Driving My Tractor - Jan Dobbins

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous illustrations, I am quite envious, lol, that we didn't receive this book for reviewing. Mind you, we've had a fab copy of Achilles and a great book for my little man too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added a link to your post to my own review of Barefoot books edition of Achilles. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...