Saturday 1 December 2012

Heinz Flavoured Beanz review


When Heinz sent me through a couple of cans of their Five Beanz to try out a couple of months ago, I thought they were very nice but they didn't really taste hugely different to regular baked beans. Well, I have to say I was impressed when they sent me through their latest twist on the old family favourite - they've jazzed them up by adding all sorts of weird and wonderful flavours to the original baked beans recipe.

Before you start thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and worrying about them wrecking a classic taste that generations of families have loved, just think about it for a second. Do you just eat plain unadulterated baked beans or do you add something to them to enhance the flavour ? If I'm using them as a baked potato topping, I always add grated cheese and, after trying out the Ultimate Barbecue Beans recipe that I blogged a while back, I frequently stir through a squirt of barbecue sauce to give them a lovely smoky flavour. They also work really well with a shake of chilli flakes or American bbq seasoning sprinkled over the top so I actually think it's a really good idea to have them with extra flavours added.

They come in five flavours - Barbecue, Chilli, Tomato with Garlic and Herb, Curry and Cheddar Cheese - and I'm looking forward to working my way through them all. Even in the interests of writing a thorough review, I was not going to eat five cans of beans in quick succession or I'd be able to jet-propel myself to the moon by wind power (!) so I've only tasted the barbecue ones so far, but they were very tasty.

They're great served as a baked potato topping or on beans on toast but also for bulking out meat-based dishes such as stews, casseroles and curries to save a few pennies.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : 84p for 390g

Disclosure : We received a selection of Heinz flavoured beanz in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

1 comment:

  1. I love Heinz baked beans, they are the only brand we can have as The Boy has an intolerance to *every* other brand because of the additives etc. I love the sound of the garlic and herb, and the cheese one. These will be on my shopping list next trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...