Sunday 24 February 2013

Maggi So Juicy Mixed Herbs for Chicken review


Having signed up to take part in a Bzz campaign for Maggi So Juicy, I excitedly greeted the postman when he dropped off my Bzz kit containing four of the varieties in the range : Mexican Chicken, Tuscan Sausage, Sticky Barbecue Chicken and Mixed Herbs for Chicken. There are fifteen different recipes available in total though, including Italian Chicken, Rosemary & Garlic Roast Chicken, Chicken Chasseur, Chicken Balti, Oriental Soy & Garlic Chicken, Smoky BBQ Ribs, Rich Red Wine & Shallots for Beef, Garlic Chicken, Paprika Chicken, Sweet & Sour Chicken and Chunky Chili con Carne.


The one that I decided to try first was Mixed Herbs for Chicken because the Madhouse Mini Testers aren't too keen on spicy food so I thought it would be most likely to appeal to their rather delicate palates.


Like many other similar products on the market, the pack is made up of two sections - an ovenproof bag and tag in the top part and the seasoning in the bottom part. I read the instructions as a quick guide and they said to use eight chicken drumsticks or four chicken breasts - well, I used four chicken thighs as it was what I had defrosted and it was perfect. I think I could have got away with adding another one without scrimping on the seasoning actually, making it perfect for a family of five like us.


After 45 minutes in the oven, this is how it looked when I poured it out of the bag. You get a decent amount of sauce, that can be served as it is over rice or mash, or thickened up with a couple of spoonfuls of gravy granules.


The sealed bag keeps in all the moisture so you really do get chicken that is So Juicy, if you'll pardon the pun. I was delighted to see that it also creates a sticky glaze on the chicken skin - yum ! I served this with some Mediterranean vegetables (courgettes, onions, tomatoes, peppers) and rice.

If you're short on time or need inspiration to add some exotic flavours to your cooking, it's a brilliant range. I'm looking forward to trying out the other recipes (and reporting back of course - I have BBQ chicken and Tuscan sausage on the menu plan for next week !)

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : 98p
 

Disclosure : As a Bzz agent, I receive free products to try, as well as samples and money-off vouchers to hand out to friends, in order to spread the word and share my honest opinions.


Other reviews you may be interested in :
 

4 comments:

  1. Oooh that chicken looks so nice. I haven't tried this Maggi stuff yet but will give it a try :-)

    http://www.adventuresofayorkshiremum.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love maggi bags, we must have atleast one a week! Yum

    walkingtalkingpollypocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cleaning is the challenging part... when we were home, we used to keep making this and I used to eat most of it... looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh that chicken looks so nice. looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...