Thursday 28 May 2015

Madhouse diaries : Fossil-hunting at Cap Blanc Nez


Just next to Calais, there is a lovely beach surrounded rolling hillsides that are perfect for long walks. 



On a sunny bank holiday Monday, we decided to head for the beach itself rather than the clifftops though.


 It was such a clear day that we could easily see the white cliffs of Dover on the horizon, as well as the numerous ferries crossing the Channel.


Down by the water's edge, there is a wide band of sand but the pebbles up near the cliffs were what interested Sophie the most, as she was hoping to find some fossils in the rocks that have fallen down from the cliffs.


When our science teacher takes his classes on field trips to this stretch of beach, he always manages to find some so I knew they must be there.


We were all on a mission to see who would manage to find anything even vaguely resembling a fossil  first !


It's often quite hard to tell what's a fossil and what isn't, but this looks like it could be one.


Sophie thinks this is a fossilised starfish or sea urchin - she could be right, but I have no idea !


There were lots of these stones with weird spirals and swirls on them.


Ahh, I bet there WAS a fossil here at one point !


Aha, that's more like it - an ammonite imprinted in the rock face.


This would have been a complete fossil if it hadn't broken in half.


This looks like a fossilised tentacle or fish bone.


Pierre got very excited when he nearly stepped on this one !


More tentacles or fish bones.


When we'd had enough of fossil-hunting, it was time to partake in the time honoured tradition of lobbing great rocks in the water to make the biggest splash !


Don't let go, Pierre (which is apparently what I did once when I was little and gave my mum a black eye ! Oops !)


I'm sure we'll be back another day to look for more fossils, now that we know they're there for the picking !

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall 

Dragons and Fairy Dust

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful day out! I love hunting for fancy pebbles and fossils. Is that one with a hole through it? They are supposed to bring good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one wasn't but I did find three or four other pebbles with holes all the way through which I collected - I always say they bring good luck too !

      Delete
  2. That looks like so much fun! I would enjoy it as much a the kids! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been there a few times but have never thought to go fossil hunting-what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, we found a fossil by accident at Charmouth last year, looks like you all had great fun #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a fine selection you found there, I love it when my kids get absorbed in an activity like this, we tend to use the chalk pits on the south downs for fossil hunting, if you have the right rock it is amazing what you can find. Clearly lots where you are and really clear to see too. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you blogging about it - it's added to our must-do list when we're next visiting the family in Sussex ! :)

      Delete
  6. I used to love fossil hunting as a child. That brings back memories :) #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like an amazing place and has the most interesting rocks! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fossil hunting is one of our favourite things to do. We're so lucky in Wales to have so many places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm envious! I always mean to go fossil hunting I never seem to get a chance, I really must make time, it looks so cool - and I have a fossil spotter book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll have to look out for one of those :)

      Delete
  10. That looks like such a wonderful day out - haven't tried fossil hunting with my daughter yet. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love fossil hunting, great pastime with children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wanted to hunt for fossils but didn't know where ,thank you !!!! we are off to hunt !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We used to go fossil hunting as kids, great fun. I don't think we found as much s you did though. Thanks for linking to #outandabout

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...