Tuesday 21 March 2017

Putting the squidge into breakfast with Soreen Fruit Toast Me's (review)


Soreen recently sent us through some packs of their new Fruit Toast Me's to try out. We all love their classic malt loaf - it's so rich and gooey and squishy and satisfying - but there is one thing that always annoys me : the loaf gets smaller and smaller as you go because it gets compressed every time you cut it (or is that just me ?!). I was keen to see if the Fruit Toast Me's would avoid this slight niggle of mine.


They come in a two-pack or a four-pack and visually, they reminded me of extremely brown hot cross buns ! They are described as raisin & malt toastable teacakes and in terms of flavour, I found them very similar to the regular malt loaf that we love.


I cut them in half (very badly, as you can see if you look at this photo closely ! I would have preferred for them to be pre-cut in half for convenience) and, for a real taste test, I smothered one half in butter straight from the pack and popped the other half under the grill before smearing on some butter.


We loved them both ways but toasting them does give them a lovely bit of crunchy crispiness before your teeth break through to the inimitable squidginess beneath. Other people like them with jam or honey, which seems superfluous to me as they're sweet enough as it is, or blue cheese, which could make for an interesting blend of flavours. I don't like blue cheese but I'd experiment with mature cheddar or brie, maybe.

Each 70g Toast Me provides 205 calories, not counting whatever you put on top !

RRP : £1.25 for 4

Disclosure : I received the product in order to write an honest review.

3 comments:

  1. Spencer Broadley21 March 2017 at 17:04

    I used to love Soreen - I am tempted to get some more now - I haven't had any for years but can stillsort of taste it in my mouth - Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Soreen. I will have to look out for these. They look like a great idea for breakfast. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy, haven't had malt loaf for ages

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...