Monday 6 March 2017

#readcookeat recipe : Coconut Cream Cheesecake (A Long Ways From Home)


This weekend, I wanted to make a dessert that was a bit different and a bit decadent, so I thought to myself, it's time for another #readcookeat recipe inspired by Mike Martin's A Long Ways From Home. (Click through for my review.) Aah the inimitable Sgt. Windflower - if there's one thing the man adores, it's dessert, so I always know that we're going to be on to a good thing if we use one of his dishes as inspiration for dinner. After recreating his favourite Peanut Butter Cheesecake, this time I decided to go for another cheesecake option - and me being lazy (and needing an almost instant dessert), I went for a no-bake option again.

Here's the extract from the book that gave me the inspiration :

p170 "I think it's time for dessert," said Windflower, who had been anxiously eyeing the tray ever since it had arrived outside. Everyone laughed at his singleness of purpose when it came to his food, particularly his dessert opportunities.
"I've got lemon meringue pie and coconut cream cheesecake," said Moira.
"I'll try the pie first," said Windflower. The others all laughed. Windflower couldn't see what was so funny. He took his slice of pie greedily from Moira and tasted a forkful.
"This is amazing," said Windflower. The lemon meringue pie was perfect. The meringue was stiff but crystallized in his mouth. The lemon filling was tart and sweet at the same time. The crust was, as Windflower described it, "perfect". It didn't take long for him to finish his pie. He handed his plate back to Moira for his second choice.
"I'll have a small piece of the cheesecake," he said to Moira.
The other three were still on their first dessert when Windflower dipped his fork into the cheesecake. The coconut cream cheesecake was also very good. It had perfectly whipped cream on top of a layer of delicate yet solid cheesecake with a strong essence of coconut infused throughout. "Ah," said Windflower.
"It looks like you approve," said Moira.

As I made a no-bake version, it already had a creamy texture so I skipped the extra whipped cream on top. If you fancy trying Moira's other dessert, I also have a recipe for Mini Lemon Meringue Pie Bites.


Coconut Cream Cheesecake

ingredients :

8-10 digestive biscuits ( or Graham crackers)
2-3tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
150g Philadelphia cream cheese
5tbsp coconut cream
300g marscapone
2tbsp desiccated coconut
3tbsp icing sugar
coconut chips to decorate


Crush the digestive biscuits and stir in the melted butter or coconut oil.


Press into the base of a pie tin, lined with baking parchment. Chill in the fridge while you make the filling.


Given the name, the recipe obviously calls for coconut cream. Unfortunately, that's not something that is readily available in Europe so I had to be a bit sneaky. I had a can of Amoy Rich and Creamy Coconut Milk and the top third of the can was solid cream. Perfect.


I scooped out the coconut cream until I got down to the clear water-like coconut milk below. I also had a packet of Pina Colada flavoured icing sugar in the cupboard, which I thought would work well with the coconut flavour. Regular icing sugar would be fine too though.


Beat together the cream cheese, marscapone, coconut cream, desiccated coconut  and icing sugar. Taste and add extra icing sugar if required.


Remove the crust from the tin and place it on a plate. Spoon the creamy filling on top.


Sprinkle with coconut chips for extra texture and flavour. Chill for at least a couple of hours before devouring.


Linking up with the #readcookeat linky over at Chez Maximka.

2 comments:

  1. That's my kind of cake, I love coconut, and this recipe sounds very moreish. I have finally done a new ReadCookEat linky. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...